Traveling from Cusco to Machu Picchu
Trains from Cusco to Machu Picchu are the easiest, fastest, and most comfortable way to get from Cusco to Machu Picchu. Peru Rail and Inca Rail are the train companies operating between these destinations. Both companies offer different classes of services, with PeruRail being the more luxurious option.
The journey by Train from Cusco to Machu Picchu takes around 3 hours. The trains depart from several stations like San Pedro, Wanchaq, Poroy, and Ollantaytambo. The trains wind their way through the stunning Sacred Valley before arriving at the town of Aguas Calientes, at the base of Machu Picchu Mountain.
Aguas Calientes is the final stop for all trains, regardless of which company you are traveling with. From Aguas Calientes, passengers must take a bus to the ancient Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. The buses depart every few minutes, and the journey takes around 25 minutes.
How to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco?
There are 3 main ways to get from Cusco to Machu Picchu: hiking, Train, or bus. The most famous tour of Machu Picchu is the Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.
Machu Picchu by Train is a great way to see this fantastic UNESCO World Heritage site. The train ride takes you through some of the most stunning scenery in Peru, and you'll get to see the Inca ruins up close. Different companies offer Machu Picchu tours by Train, so be sure to research the one that's right for you. I recommend looking at their websites and reading reviews from previous customers. Once you've decided on a company, book your tour and prepare for an unforgettable experience!
This is the newest access to Machu Picchu; you can travel by car until Hidroelectrica and walk back to Aguas Calientes town along the train tracks: We have several tours that access this place, like the Salkantay Trek, Choquequirao Trek, Inca Jungle Hike, and others. From Hidroelectrica to Aguas Calientes, it is possible to take a train as well.
Best Trains to Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes Town)
There are 2 train companies to Machu Picchu; Peru Rail and Inca Rail. Both offer Trains From Cusco to Machu Picchu Pueblo (Also called Aguas Calientes town) and Trains from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu Pueblo.
Both companies offer excellent service with comfortable facilities. There might be a slight difference in prices; however, it will depend on the departure times convenient for your schedule. At TreXperience, we offer tours with both trains depending on availability.
|Peru Rail||Inca Rail||Price Approx|
|Economic Service||Local Train||N.A.||5 to 12 soles (only for Peruvians)|
|Standard Service||Expedition||Voyager||From 60 USD|
|Premium Service||Vistadome||360°||From 80 USD|
|Deluxe Service||Hiram Bingham||The Private||From 500 USD|
Train companies to Machu Picchu
- Peru Rail
One of the best train companies to Machu Picchu, they started taking travelers to Machu Picchu in 1999. They have more trains than the other company and different services and prices. PeruRail has a long and rich history, reflected in its experienced team and modern infrastructure. The company has played an essential role in developing Peru's railway network and is a leading player in the rail industry.
- Inca Rail
The newest company to Machu Picchu, they started taking travelers to Machu Picchu in 2007. They have different services from Cusco and Ollantaytambo. Inca Rail offers various other services, including tours of Machu Picchu, trekking excursions, and luxury trains.
Standard Trains to Machu Picchu
This is the regular, standard, and cheapest Train to Machu Picchu in PeruRail. The train cars are immersed in Inca culture's designs, making you feel like Machu Picchu after boarding the Train. The Expedition Train offers an unforgettable journey through the Peruvian countryside, with stunning views of the Andes Mountains and glimpses of traditional villages. The Train departs from San Pedro, Poroy, and Ollantaytambo Train stations.
The standard version and the cheapest train option at IncaRail have comfortable seats with excellent service, and you can book Travel from Cusco or Ollantaytambo.
Voyager Premium Train
This version has more oversized windows and more comfortable seats than the standard version.
Panoramic Trains to Machu Picchu
The train cars have panoramic windows to enjoy the surrounding environment while you travel along the Urubamba River. All our TreXperience tours include one-way of these scenic trains. The Vistadome train offers panoramic views of the Peruvian countryside, comfortable seats, and plenty of legroom.
This is the Panoramic version of the Inca Rail with glass windows on the roof and an outdoor observation carriage. This unique train ride takes passengers through some of the most stunning scenery in Peru, including the Sacred Valley and Aguas Calientes. The train ride is an experience, with comfortable seats and large windows offering panoramic views of the passing landscape.
Luxury Trains to Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley Train
This premium train connects Urubamba with Machu Picchu; it includes meals, drinks, and an observatory lounge to enjoy the views. Peru Rail offers this service.
Hiram Bingham Train
Board the luxurious Belmond Hiram Bingham train. Enjoy the elegant dining, bar, and observatory lounge, where you can enjoy the fresh air with traditional Peruvian cocktails and listen to live local music. This luxury train to Machu Picchu is operated by Peru Rail.
Machu Picchu's only private charter train, an exclusive train for small groups with music, a bar, and meals onboard. Inca Rail offers this service.
The Luxurious Train To Machu Picchu with maximum comfort, an observatory lounge, live music, and gourmet meals. This train is operated by Inca Rail.
Trains from Cusco, Poroy, and Ollantaytambo
There are many train stations to travel to Machu Picchu and return:
- In Cusco: Wanchaq, San Pedro, Poroy for PeruRail. Inca Rail Will depart from Sol Avenue.
- In The Sacred Valley; Ollantaytambo, Urubamba, and Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo)
Each station has unique benefits and drawbacks, so choosing the right one for your trip is essential.
PeruRail Trains from Cusco and Poroy Train Station
PeruRail departs from 2 train stations: One from San Pedro, a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas, and the other train station in Poroy, 25 minutes drive outside of Cusco. The Total duration of the train ride is about 4 hours and 40 minutes.
- Expedition 33 (Poroy) 06:40 – 09:54
- Expedition 31 (San Pedro) 06:40 – 10:52
- Vistadome 33 (Poroy) 06:40 – 09:54
- Vistadome 31 (San Pedro) 06:40 – 10:52
- Expedition 203 (San Pedro) 07:30 – 12:11
- Vistadome 203 (San Pedro) 07:30 – 12:11
- Expedition 31 (Poroy) 07:35 – 10:52
- Vistadome 31 (Poroy) 07:35 – 10:52
- Expedition 203 (Poroy) 08:25 – 12:11
- Vistadome 203 (Poroy) 08:25 – 12:11
- Hiram Bingham 11 (Poroy) 09:05 – 12:24
PeruRail Trains from Machu Picchu Pueblo to Cusco
You will board these trains in Aguas Calientes, and you can get off in Ollantaytambo, Poroy, or San Pedro as the final destination.
- Vistadome 34 (Poroy) 15:20 – 19:05
- Expedition 32 (Poroy) 16:43 – 20:23
- Expedition 32 (San Pedro) 16:43 – 21:23
- Vistadome 32 (Poroy) 16:43 – 20:23
- Vistadome 32 (San Pedro) 16:43 – 21:23
- Expedition 604 (Poroy) 17:23 – 20:52
- Expedition 604 (San Pedro) 17:2 – 321:52
- Vistadome 604 (Poroy) 17:23 – 20:52
- Hiram Bingham 12 (Poroy) 17:50 – 21:16
PeruRail Train from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu Pueblo
To board the Train, you must travel by car from Cusco and arrive at least 30 minutes before your train departure. The train ride is around 1.5 hours until Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes)
- Expedition 71 05:05 – 06:35
- Expedition 81 06:10 – 07:40
- Vistadome 301 07:05 – 08:27
- Expedition 83 07:45 – 09:15
- Vistadome 83 07:45 – 09:15
- Vistadome 601 08:00 – 09:24
- Expedition 33 08:29 – 09:54
- Vistadome 33 08:29 – 09:54
- Vistadome 501 08:53 – 10:29
- Expedition 31 09:15 – 10:52
- Vistadome 31 09:15 – 10:52
- Expedition 203 10:32 – 12:11
- Expedition 203 10:32 – 12:11
- Vistadome 203 10:32 – 12:11
- Vistadome 203 10:32 – 12:11
- Expedition 91 11:52 – 13:34
- Expedition 73 12:55 – 14:25
- Vistadome 73 12:55 – 14:25
- Vistadome 303 13:27 – 14:50
- Vistadome 603 15:37 – 17:02
- Expedition 75 19:04 – 20:45
- Vistadome 75 19:04 – 20:45
- Expedition 51 21:00 – 22:45
PeruRail Trains from Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo
- Expedition 50 05:35 – 07:44
- Expedition 72 08:53 – 10:52
- Vistadome 302 10:55 – 12:32
- Vistadome 602 12:46 – 14:19
- Vistadome 204 13:37 – 15:04
- Expedition 74 14:55 – 16:31
- Vistadome 74 14:55 – 16:31
- Expedition 34 15:20 – 17:08
- Vistadome 34 15:20 – 17:08
- Vistadome 304 15:48 – 17:29
- Expedition 504 16:22 – 18:10
- Vistadome 504 16:22 – 18:10
- Expedition 32 16:43 – 18:31
- Vistadome 32 16:43 – 18:31
- Expedition 604 17:23 – 19:02
- Expedition 604 17:23 – 19:02
- Vistadome 604 17:23 – 19:02
- Vistadome 604 17:23 – 19:02
- Vistadome 606 18:10 – 19:51
- Expedition 84 18:20 – 20:05
- Vistadome 84 18:20 – 20:05
- Expedition 86 20:50 – 22:20
- Expedition 76 21:50 – 23:35
- Vistadome 76 21:50 – 23:35
PeruRail Trains from/to Urubamba to Machu Picchu
- Uru- MP Vistadome 601 06:50 – 09:25
- MP – Uru Vistadome 304 15:48 – 18:43
IncaRail Trains from Cusco and Poroy Train Station
The journey from Cusco to Machu Picchu by Train will take around 4 hours and 20 minutes; BIMODAL service means you will travel by car from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and then board the trains to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Pueblo)
- CUSCO – MAPI THE FIRST CLASS BIMODAL 43 – 08:28
- CUSCO – MAPI THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 41 – 04:20
- CUSCO – MAPI THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 43 – 08:30
- CUSCO – MAPI THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 67 – 16:15
- CUSCO – MAPI THE 360° 61 – 04 50
- POROY – MAPI THE 360° 61 – 05:55
- CUSCO – MAPI THE 360° BIMODAL 63 – 08:50
- CUSCO – MAPI THE 360° BIMODAL 65 – 09:55
IncaRail Trains from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu Pueblo
- OLLA – MAPI THE 360° 63 – 11:30
- OLLA – MAPI 03/06/2021 THE 360° 65 – 12:36
- OLLA – MAPI THE VOYAGER 41 – 06:40
- OLLA – MAPI THE VOYAGER 43 – 11:15
- OLLA – MAPI THE 360° 61 – 07:22
- OLLA – MAPI THE VOYAGER 45 – 16:36
- OLLA – MAPI THE VOYAGER 67 – 19:27
- OLLA – MAPI THE FIRST CLASS 43 – 11:15
IncaRail Trains from Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo
- MAPI – OLLA, THE FIRST CLASS 46 – 19:00
- MAPI – OLLA THE VOYAGER 42 – 08:30
- MAPI – OLLA THE VOYAGER 44 – 14:30
- MAPI – OLLA THE VOYAGER 46 – 19:00
- MAPI – OLLA THE VOYAGER 66 – 20:20
- MAPI – OLLA THE VOYAGER 68 – 21:30
- MAPI – OLLA THE 360° 62 – 10:32
- MAPI – OLLA THE 360° 64 – 16:12
IncaRail Trains from Machu Picchu to Poroy/Cusco
- MAPI – CUSCO THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 44 – 14:30
- MAPI – CUSCO THE 360° 64 – 16:12
- MAPI – POROY THE 360° 64 – 16:12
- MAPI – CUSCO THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 46 – 19:00
- MAPI – CUSCO THE VOYAGER 46 – 19:00
- MAPI – CUSCO THE FIRST CLASS 46 – 19:00
- MAPI – CUSCO THE VOYAGER BIMODAL 68 – 21:30
- MAPI – CUSCO THE 360° BIMODAL 62 – 10:32
FAQs about Machu Picchu Trains
Where to board the trains to Machu Picchu?
When going to Machu Picchu, you can board the Train at the three designated train stations. Remember to arrive at least 30 minutes before your train departure for boarding.
San Pedro train station
It is located in front of the famous San Pedro Market, just a few blocks from the main square of Cusco city. You can walk or take a taxi, depending on your hotel location.
Poroy Train station
Located outside Cusco, about a 25-minute drive on the route to Lima, you need to take a taxi from your hotel.
Ollantaytambo Train Station
Located in the Sacred Valley, this train station is the main and preferred one because it is close to Machu Picchu Pueblo. To arrive in Ollantaytambo, you must take a taxi, which takes around 1.5 hours to reach Cusco.
How long does it take to travel by Train to Machu Picchu?
The time of Travel will depend on where you will board the Train:
- From San Pedro train station, arriving at Machu Picchu Pueblo will take around 4 hours and 40 minutes.
- From Poroy Train station, arriving at Machu Picchu Pueblo will take around 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- From Ollantaytambo Train Station, arriving at Machu Picchu Pueblo will take around 1 hour and 30 minutes.
How much does the Train to Machu Picchu cost?
The price of the Train tickets to Machu Picchu varies a lot depending on the demand. During the high season, the costs will rise, and train companies will offer significant discounts in the low season. Train tickets to Machu Picchu work very similarly to the flight ticket system. You must book far in advance to get the best prices; last-minute booking; the cost will usually be very high.
The lowest prices are always the standard version, like the Expedition and Voyager trains; if you want to get the best prices, you must travel early or late.
The price will go from 55.USD is the lowest, up to 550.USD is the highest for way tickets depending on the type of Train and departure time.
Are there any discounts on the train ticket to Machu Picchu?
Children from 0 to 2 years old don't need to pay for train tickets; however, they must sit with their parents, and no seat will be assigned for babies.
Children from 3 to 11 years old must pay for the train ticket; however, they will benefit from a 50% discount. Inca Rail allows this discount for up to 12 years with 11 months.
Discounts for children are not available in the luxury version. If you are traveling with children, contact the train company or us to assist you better.
Can I take a Bus From Cusco To Machu Picchu?
There are no buses from Cusco directly to Machu Picchu; you must take a bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo and then board the Train to Machu Picchu Pueblo.
The second option, but not recommended, is to take private transportation from Cusco to Hidroelectica through a winding route for about 6 hours and then hike for 3 hours along the train track back to Machu Picchu Pueblo (Aguas Calientes)
How is the train trip to Machu Picchu?
If you board the Train In Cusco or Poroy, you will enjoy the beautiful views of the high plains of Izcuchaca and Huarocondo. You will descend into the Sacred Valley and follow the Urubamba into the Cloud Forest, where Machu Picchu is located.
If you board the Train in Ollantaytambo, you will enjoy the fantastic views of the mountains, the river and the landscape of the Andes, and the cloud forest.
It's important to note that there is only one railway from Cusco to Machu Picchu Pueblo and Poroy and Ollantaytambo's train stations on the way.
Are there any restrictions for boarding the Train to Machu Picchu?
You must bring your tickets (printed or digital) and show them before boarding with your passport.
There is a luggage restriction as well. You can only board the Train with a small backpack or a carry-on of a maximum of 8 kilos.
What is the bimodal service?
The bimodal Service to Machu Picchu is a unique experience that allows you to see the fantastic ruins of Machu Picchu in a new and different way. The Train companies offer to travel to Machu Picchu by bus and Train.
The service departs in Cusco. First, you will travel by bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo; from Ollantaytambo, you will board the Train to Aguas Calientes town and return the same way.
How long does it take to Travel in the bimodal service?
The bimodal service departs from Cusco; you will travel by bus and Train when you return the same way.
- The bus from Cusco to Ollantaytamtambo is 1.5 hours
- The Train form Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes is 1.5 hours
What are the pros and cons?
- Pros: When you travel by bus from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, you will arrive faster, and this service is good when you have limited time.
- Cons: The train ride from Cusco or Poroy is wonderful during day time; the buses offered by rain companies might take longer than hiring private transportation to Ollantaytambo.
When is Available the bimodal Service?
Initially, the Bimodal system was offered only during the rainy season; however, due to the increase in visitors, the 2 train companies are now offering the Bimodal system all year round.
Add new comment