Explore the most remote mountains, lakes, villages of the Ausangate trek, and hike along with llamas and alpacas to the fantastic Rainbow Mountain. Finish the tour exploring the Lost City of the Incas, Machu Picchu.
The Ausangate Trek is considered one of the most stunning and remote hikes in Peru. This majestic natural reserve is full of natural beauty, with crystal clear blue lakes, vicuñas, llamas, alpacas, vizcachas, and condors. Get close to the 20,921 feet Ausangate mountain, the highest peak in the Cusco region. On the final part of this incredible TreXperience, you’ll arrive at Rainbow Mountain and Machu Picchu.
- Book with Confidence and Flexibility
- Get off the beaten path and explore remote mountains.
- Visit the spectacular glaciers and alpine lakes.
- Bath in the natural hot springs at Upis
- Visit the Rainbow Mountain, Red Valley, and Machu Picchu
- Support our Social projects while traveling with us
Price per person: USD$ 780
To book the Ausangate & Machu Picchu Trek, you need to make an initial payment of 200.USD per person, the remaining balance can be paid online, in installments, or Cusco with any credit card at no booking fees at all.
Day by day summary of the Ausangate Trek
Day 1: Cusco – Tinki – Upis – Hot Springs.- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco at 5:00 am and drive to the town of Tinki (3776 m / 12388 ft), where the Ausangate Trek starts. After breakfast, hike for 6 hours to the campsite near the thermal baths of Upis (4408 m / 14458 ft).
Day 2: Upis Village – Pucacocha Lake – Ananta.- After breakfast, hike to Lake Pucacocha (4561 m / 14963 ft), located at the base of Mount Ausangate. During the day, you’ll pass two mountain passes and incredible views.
Day 3: Ananta – Rainbow Mountain – Aguas Calientes.- The most crucial day of the trek, you will visit the Rainbow mountain (50020 m /16433 ft) and Red Valley, then travel by van and train to Aguas Calientes.
Day 3: Machu Picchu – Cusco.- Visit Machu Picchu early in the morning and enjoy the sunrise. In the afternoon board the train back to Cusco.
- Pre- Departure briefing
- Pick up from your hotel on the morning of the trek.
- All Transportation from the beginning to the end
- Duffle bags for your personal stuff up to 8 kilos
- Four men Eureka tents for each two trekkers
- Sleeping foam mattress, pillows, hot water bags, warm blankets
- Comfortable camping equipment
- Portable toilet and showers
- Professional local tour guide
- All meals during the trek
- First-aid kit, oxygen tank, satellite phones
- Emergency horse in case you struggle
- Trekking chef, porter, and horsemen
- Horses to carry food and equipment
- Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, and others on request
- Boiled water every day on the trek
- Warm water hand washing every day
- Entrance tickets to the Ausangate trail and Rainbow Mountain
- All Taxes included
- Sleeping bags, air mattress, trekking poles (Can be hired from us)
- Dinner on the last day
- Travel insurance (highly recomended)
- Gratuities (Optional)
Important to know before booking the Ausangate Trek
- Minimum 2 people required per booking
Similar Tours to Machu Picchu:
Day 1: Cusco – Tinki – Upis– Hot springs
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4.30 am and drive for 3 towards the community of Tinki – arriving around 8:00 am. After enjoying a delicious breakfast, we will start your Ausangate Trek with a 4-hour uphill trek to our lunch spot at Ausangate Mountain base – the highest peak in the Cusco region at 20 926 ft. After lunch, we will continue for two additional hours downhill to the community of UPIS – located at 14458 ft. Tonight we will be camping close to the medicinal hot springs. Take time to relax and enjoy the warm waters in the chilly weather of the mountains in the afternoon.
- Distance: 13 km / 8 m
- Elevation: 14,458 ft
- Hiking time: 6h
- Meals: Breakfast, snack, lunch, tea time, dinner
- Accommodation: Camping
Day 2: Upis – Pucacocha – Ananta
We will wake you up with a hot cup of coca tea or coffee in your tent, and provide you with a delicious breakfast. The hike starts with a gentle climb until we arrive to Pucacocha lake, where we will enjoy lunch at the banks of the beautiful lake. Along the way, you will enjoy the amazing views of the mountains, herds of llamas, alpacas, vicuñas, and the local farmers.
After lunch, we will hike for 2-hours to Alpaca Pass 4989 m (16,567 feet). After enjoying the amazing views of the Ausangate Mountain trek you will descend for 1 more hour to the campsite at Ananta, where we will be surrounded by mountains! this campsite is lovely with stunning views of the lake and astonishing sunsets. If you are lucky enough to camp on a clear night, this is the perfect place to stargaze!
- Distance: 12 km /7.5 miles
- Elevation: 4,300 m / 14,100 ft
- Hiking time: 8 hours
- Meals: Breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner
- Accommodation: Camping
Day 3: Ananta – Rainbow Mountain – Aguas Calientes
After an early breakfast, the trek begins with a 3-hour ascent to Vinicunca mountain (16,466 ft / 5,020 m). Along the way, we will observe llamas and alpacas, traditional houses, and breathtaking landscapes of Ausangate Mountain (6398m/20991ft). Rainbow Mountain (or Vinicunca) is located in the Southern Region of Cusco. This spectacular place will impress even the most demanding of hikers. The high altitude allows for some of the most incredible views in the region, and here you feel completely separated from modern civilization. Rainbow mountain is considered one of the most beautiful one-day hikes in the world. Upon reaching the summit and taking some time to explore and enjoy this extraordinary place, we will start descending again. After lunch, we will board the van in a 4 hours drive to Ollanataytambo where we take the 7 p.m train to Aguas Calientes, where we spend the night in a hotel
- Highest elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 feet
- Distance: 3.7 miles ascent (6 km) / 2 miles descent (3 km)
- Approximate duration: 3-hour ascent / 2-hour descent
- Level of difficulty: Moderate
Day 5: Machu Picchu (Lost City of the Incas)
On the last day, we have to get up very early and get ready to experience to the fullest Machu Picchu. We will go straight to the queue and wait for the first buses to Machu Picchu at 5:30 am. As the sky brightens, we will enjoy incredible views of the city along the way.
On a clear day, you can watch the spectacular sunrise over Machu Picchu; this is indeed an unforgettable sight. Your guide will take you on a 2 to 3-hour comprehensive tour of the city before leaving you to Machu Picchu to explore on your own or climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (tickets must be booked in advance if possible). Your guide will explain how to take the bus from Machu Picchu back to Aguas Calientes for lunch (not included) and then return to Cusco by train and bus. The TreXperience team will meet you in the train and return you safely to your hotel.
- Duration: 3 – 4 hours
- Meals: Breakfast (hotel)
- Difficulty: Easy