The Humantay Lake Tour is undoubtedly one of the best day hikes in Peru. Spend a beautiful day exploring the fantastic mountain views, exotic flora, and fauna, and enjoy our delicious picnic meals prepared by a local trekking chef. This is a great choice if you want to experience the natural beauty and don't mind an extra hike.
Our Exclusive full-day Humantay Lake tour from Cusco include roundtrip transport, so you only have to enjoy the tour.
Humantay Lake Tour from Cusco - Overview
The Humantay Lake Tour from Cusco is the perfect way to see one of Peru's most beautiful places. This full-day tour takes you on a hike to the stunning Humantay Lake in the Salkantay Mountain region. The lake is nestled in the heart of the Andes Mountains at an altitude of 4,200 meters, making it a truly unique sight, with crystal clear waters and breathtaking views.
You will start from the City of Cusco, meeting our experienced guides. You'll then be taken on a hike to the lake, where you can explore the area, relax, and enjoy the incredible scenery that this amazing place offers. After spending some time at the lake, you’ll head back down the mountain and enjoy a delicious picnic lunch before returning to your hotel in Cusco.
- Spend an epic day hiking among gigantic snow-capped mountains.
- Explore the turquoise waters of Humantay Lake.
- Enjoy nourishing picnic meals prepared with local products.
- Book with Confidence and Flexibility
- Starts: 4:30 am - Pick up from your hotel in Cusco city.
- Ends: 6:00 pm - Drop off at the door of your hotel.
- Round-trip transportation from Cusco
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco
- Drop off back at your hotel
- Professional Tour Guide
- Entry ticket to Humantay Lake
- Oxygen tank, first aid kit, Satellite phones
- Picnic breakfast
- Picnic lunch prepared by a local chef
- Extra blankets provided
- Trekking poles
- All taxes and booking fees
- Horse riding (optional)
- Travel Insurance
- You can book this trip as a private tour with a minimum of 2 travelers.
- For larger groups, send us a request to get a special price.
- You can rent a horse at the trailhead to arrive at Humantay Lake. Horse riding is possible on only 80% of the entire trail. The 20% left, you need to hike. Returning down the hill on a horse is not recommended.
- Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free meals are available on request.
Humantay Lake Tour - Itinerary
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco around 4:30 am and drive in our comfortable vans for 3 hours to Soraypampa, where you will enjoy a picnic breakfast with a stunning view of the Salkantay and Humantay mountains.
After enjoying a delicious breakfast prepared by our trekking chefs, you will start a 2-hour hike up to Humantay Lake (4,200 m - 13,779 ft), located at the base of a mountain with the same name. You can also rent horses from locals.
Upon arriving at the lake, you will have time to explore the surroundings and relax with the fantastic views of the mountains. Enjoy the local flora, native birds, and magnificent mountain peaks.
Next, you will hike back for 1 hour to our lunch place at Soraypampa. Our chefs will prepare a variety of Peruvian dishes in a buffet style. Later take our private van back to Cusco, arriving at your hotel around 6:00 pm.
The pick-up for the Humantay Lake will be from your hotel in Cusco city at 4:30 in the morning, and we will drive you in our comfortable vans for 3 hours until Soraypampa Village (3,850 m/12,631 ft). Upon arrival, our expert trekking chefs will serve a delicious breakfast prepared with fresh local products while you enjoy the breathtaking view of the Salkantay and Humantay mountains.
The pick-up for the Humantay Lake tour can be from any location in Cusco city (Hotels, Airbnb's, Hostels, apartments); make sure your hotel is located near the center of Cusco and preferably with route access.
After a healthy breakfast, you will set off on a hike that will take 2 hours to reach Humantay Lake, which is located at an elevation of 4,200 m (13,779 ft) at the foot of a mountain with the same name. Along the way, you will be able to enjoy the fantastic views of the mountain, participate in horse riding if you like, and also see some local birds.
The trail is not too difficult, but it is recommended that you wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water. Once you reach Humantay Lake, you'll have some time to look around and take in the breathtaking scenery of the surrounding mountains. Take it easy if you like; take some time to see the stunning mountain peaks, local vegetation, and native wildlife.
After enjoying Humantay Lake, we will start descending for 1.5 hours to the trailhead, where our chef will be waiting for special picnic lunch prepared with fresh local products. After lunch, we will start a 3-hour return to Cusco, returning to your hotels at approximately 6.00 pm.
Price of the Humantay Lake Tour
Price per person:
- US$ 150 - Small Group Tour
- US$ 200 - Private Tour (min 2)
- 4+ Travelers, contact us to get a special price: firstname.lastname@example.org
To book the Humantay Lake tour, you need to make an initial payment of US$ 50 per person; the remaining balance can be paid online or at our office in Cusco with any card and without booking fees.
Similar tours you might be interested in:
Useful Information about Humantay Lake
What to bring
To participate in a full Humantay Lake tour from Cusco, its impoirtant to have all necesary equipment to enjoy this amazing place to the fullest. Below is a detailed list of what you will need to take to the Humantay Lake tour.
- Passport: They are not necesary, however, we recommend to take with you is a safe place
- Hiking shoes: Wear comfortable shoes for hiking, the terrain is steep and sleepery when wet
- Fleece or down jacket: Temperautures early in the morning cam be below 0° Celsious, bring a light warm jacket
- Gloves: You can take hiking gloves, or buy in tghe streets of Cusco fro 10 to 15 soles
- Hut or bennie: Early mornings can be cold, make sure you have always with you warm clothes
- Rain gear: Bring a rain jacket and rain poncho, avoid umbrellas due to heavy winds
- Sunscreen: The sun can be dry and strong, protect yourself with a good sun protection
- Water: We recommend you around 2 liters. Better if you have containers that can keep hot your drink
- Snacks: Power barts, granolas, candies, chocolates
- Extra cash: Take around 300 soles in cash for souvenirs, and unexpected expenses
- Daypack: light and comfortable for hiking and with enough space for your belongings
- Basic first aid kit: Band-aids, antiseptic wipes, altitude sickness, motion sickness, and pain relievers
- Camera: Good camera or your phone fully charge and extra baterries
- Trekking poles: We include you in the tour
- Binoculars: Take with you if you have one
It's always good to keep in mind that the weather in the Andes can be quite unpredictable. Therefore, it's advisable to be well-prepared for different weather conditions when planning a trip to Humantay Lake.
Humantay Lake is located in the Peruvian Andes, about 3 hour's drive from the city of Cusco and 2 hours hike to the lake. The lake is situated at an altitude of 4,200 meters (13,780 feet), making it one of the highest lakes in Peru. The lake is surrounded by mountains, including the Humantay Peak, which rises to 5,917 meters (19,427 feet).
Humantay Lake is a glacial lake located in the Cusco Region of Peru. The lake is situated in the saddle between the mountains of Salkantay and Humantay. The lake is fed by glacial meltwater from the nearby glaciers and has a turquoise color due to light reflecting off the sediments at the bottom of the lake. The area around Humantay Lake has been inhabited for centuries by the indigenous people of Peru.
The lake has spiritual significance for many indigenous people and is used for ceremonies and rituals. In recent years, Humantay Lake has become a popular tourist destination. The area around the lake is beautiful, and several hiking trails lead to different viewpoints.
The altitude of Humantay Lake is 4,200 meters (13,780 feet) above sea level. The lake is located in the Cordillera Vilcabamba mountain range in the Peruvian Andes.
The weather of Humantay Lake is variable depending on the time of year. In the rainy season, the lake is often covered in mist and can be pretty cold when cloudy or rainy.
However, during the dry season, the lake is typically sunny and warm during the day but very cold at night or early morning. Visitors should be prepared for both types of weather when planning a trip to Humantay Lake.
The Humantay Lake tour is not for the faint of heart. The hike is moderate to challenging, with a steep incline and rocky terrain. But, the real difficulty comes from the high altitude. At over 4,200 meters above sea level, the oxygen is thin, and it cannot be easy to catch your breath. This can make the hike even more challenging, and taking breaks often to rest and catch your breath is essential. The views from the lake are stunning, but getting there is no easy feat.
Humantay Lake Tour map
Humantay Lake vs. Rainbow Mountain
Two main hiking trails lead up to stunning viewpoints in the Cusco region of Peru - Humantay Lake and Rainbow Mountain. Both hikes are relatively challenging but offer incredible views at the top. So, which hike should you choose?
- Humantay Lake is the shorter of the two hikes, at only 4 miles round trip. The trailhead is located just outside of the town of Soraypampa, and the hike can be done in half a day. The trail is steep and rocky in parts but is manageable for most people with a good fitness level. The reward for your efforts is a beautiful turquoise lake in a valley beneath the towering peaks of the Andes.
- Rainbow Mountain, on the other hand, is a longer and more challenging hike. The trailhead is about 4 hours from Cusco, and the hike takes around 4 hours. The first part of the hike is relatively easy but gets much more challenging as you reach the high-altitude valley where Rainbow Mountain is located. Due to the high altitude, this hike is not recommended for beginners or those with respiratory problems.
So, which hike should you choose? If you're short on time or not looking for a challenge, Humantay Lake is a great option. But if you're up for an adventure and want to see some truly breathtaking scenery, Rainbow Mountain is worth the extra effort.
Tips for visiting Humantay Lake
If you're looking for a beautiful turquoise lake to visit in Peru, Humantay is the perfect spot. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your visit:
- The best time to visit Humantay lake is between May and September when the weather is warm and dry.
- To get to Humantay lake, you'll need to drive for about 3 hours from the town of Cusco.
- The trail is not too challenging, but wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water.
- Once you reach the lake, take some time to enjoy the views and maybe even go for a swim! Just be aware that the water can be pretty cold.
- If you want to camp overnight near the lake, a few campsites are available. Be sure to bring all the necessary supplies, including food, water, and warm clothing.
- When you're ready to head back down, give yourself plenty of time to hike leisurely so you don't get too tired.
- And that's it - following these tips will help you have a great time visiting Humantay lake!
Humantay Lake Tour - Frequently Asked Questions
Are you planning a trip to Humantay Lake and have some questions?, you have come to the right location! On this page, you'll find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about visiting Humantay lake from Cusco. We have all the information you need, from directions and packing tips to what you can anticipate upon your arrival.
How to get to Cusco?
The best way to get to Cusco is by flying into the city's airport. You need to book a flight to Lima city first, then book a domestic flight to Cusco airport. From there, you can take a taxi or bus to your hotel in Cusco.
Where to stay in Cusco for pick up?
There are many options available to stay in Cusco. You can choose to stay in a hotel, hostel, or even an Airbnb and apartments: The recommmended hotels are:
- Hotel Monasterio
- Palacio del Inka
- JW Marriott El Convento
- Hilton Garden
- Costa del Sol Ramada
- Hilton Garden
- Casa Andina Plaza
Book a hotel near the main center and route access. Some hotels might be located off the route and dificult access specially when your pick up is early or late drop off.
What is Humantay lake?
Humantay lake is a beautiful glacial lake located in the Salkantay region, eastern side of the Peruvian Andes. It is located at the base of Mount Humantayn. The lake is turquoise in color and is surrounded by stunning scenery, popular spot for hiking, camping, and photography.
How to get to Humantay Lake?
To get to Humantay lake, you will need to take a bus from Cusco to the town of Mollepata. From Mollepata, you need to take a private taxi to Soraypampa village, the trailhead. From Soraypampa, you will need to hike for about 2 hours until you reach the lake. The trail is not overly difficult, but it is recommended that you wear proper shoes and bring plenty of water.
The easiest way to visit Humatay lake is through an organized tour; you need to hire a company like TreXperience to enjoy these unique places.
What are the best things to do at Humantay lake?
Hiking is the only way to arrive at Humantay Lake and is an excellent way to get some exercise. Several trails of varying difficulty levels lead up to the lake. Once you reach the lake, there are plenty of places to relax or take a short hike. The water is generally quite cold, and swimming is not allowed nor fishing.
Picnicking is not allowed as well. However, you can enjoy your favorite snack, and warm water is possible. Just make sure you do not leave any trash behind.
What are the activities that can be done there?
Many activities can be enjoyed at Humantay Lake, such as hiking, horseback riding, and simply taking in the stunning scenery. The lake is also a popular spot for picnics and camping. Picnics and camping are only possible in the village located at the trailhead, Soraypampa.
How much does it cost to visit Humantay lake?
The cost of visiting Humantay lake will vary depending on several factors, including the time of year, the group size, and the specific activities you plan to do while there.
- You can book the cheapest tours from $30-$50 per person for a day trip to the lake. This price includes transportation from Cusco to the trailhead, a guide, and entrance fees. Breakfast and lunch are provided in local restaurants, large groups, different languages, and tour guides have experience.
- You can also book personalized premium tours for around $150 to $200. Includes transportation to the trailhead, entry fees, tour guide, chef, picnic meals, and private transport. These are the best tour options for Humantay. An exclusive chef and top-qualified tour guides will prepare your meals.
When is the best time to visit Humantay Lake?
The best time to visit Humantay Lake is between May and September. The weather is warm, and there are fewer chances to have rain. The rainy season is also a perfect time to visit; the landscapes are greener and have beautiful colors.
Are there any dangers at Humantay lake?
Yes, like any adventure trip out in nature, there are some dangers at Humantay lake.
- The most common danger is getting lost. There are no marked trails, and the terrain is very rugged. It is easy to get lost if you don't know where you are going or don't follow the tour guide's instructions.
- Other dangers include hypothermia and altitude sickness.
- The lake is at a high elevation, and you need to be acclimated to the altitude; arrive a few days before Cusco.
- Be sure to dress warmly and drink plenty of fluids to avoid these problems.
What are the recommended tours before and after the Humantay Lake tour?
Humantay lake is a high-altitude day hike; you must acclimate properly before participating in this tour.