Humantay Lake is undoubtedly one of the best one-day hikes in Peru. Spend a beautiful day exploring the fantastic mountain views, exotic flora, and fauna, and enjoy our delicious picnic meals prepared by a local chef.
The Humantay Lake Tour is the perfect way to see one of Peru's most beautiful places. This tour takes you to the stunning Humantay Lake in the Salkantay Mountain region. The lake is nestled in the Andes Mountains, making it a truly unique and breathtaking sight. During the tour, you will have plenty of time to explore the lake and take in the scenery. You will also learn about the local culture and history from your guide. The tour includes round-trip transportation from Cusco, so all you need to do is sit back and enjoy the ride.
Daily departures to the amazing Humantay Lake located next to the Salkantay Mountain. Enjoy a picnic breakfast and lunch surrounded by the stunning Salkantay and Humantay Peaks.
Come and explore one of the most beautiful lakes in Peru on our full day Humantay Lake tour! This stunning lake is located in the heart of the Andes Mountains, at an altitude of 4,200 metres. It is a truly magical place, with crystal clear water and amazing views.Our experienced guides will take you on a hike to the lake, where you can hike around, relax and enjoy the incredible scenery.
After spending some time at the lake, you’ll head back down the mountain and enjoy a delicious picnic lunch before returning to your hotel in Cusco. This tour is a great option for those who want to see more of Cusco’s natural beauty and don’t mind a little bit of hiking. The tour includes round-trip transportation from your hotel, so all you need to do is show up and enjoy the day.
Highlights of the Humantay Lake tour
- Book with Confidence and Flexibility
- Spend a full day exploring the turquoise water lake.
- Professional, highly trained native tour guides
- Enjoy delicious picnic meals prepared with local products.
Price per person: 150.USD
To book the Humantay Lake tour, you must make an initial payment of 50.USD per person, the remaining balance can be paid online, in installments, or Cusco with any credit card at no booking fees at all.
We will pick you up from your hotel around 4:30 am and drive in our comfortable vans for 3 hours to Soraypampa, where you will have breakfast with a stunning view of the Salkantay and Humantay mountains.
After enjoying a delicious breakfast prepared by our trekking chefs, you will start a 2-hour hike up to Humantay Lake (4200 mt), located at the base of a mountain with the same name. You can also rent horses from locals.
Upon arriving at the lake, you will have time to explore the surroundings and relax with the fantastic views of the mountains. Enjoy the local flora, native birds, and magnificent mountain peaks.
Next, you will hike for 1 hour to our lunch place at Soraypampa. Our chefs will prepare a variety of Peruvian dishes in a buffet style. Later take our private van back to Cusco, arriving at your hotel around 6:00 pm.
- Transportation (round trip)
- Pick up and drop off from your hotel in Cusco.
- Professional local Tour Guide
- Entrance to Humantay Lake
- Medical kit with Oxygen in all our tours
- Picnic breakfast and lunch prepared by a local chef
- Extra blankets provided
- Trekking poles
- All taxes and booking fees
- Horse riding (optional)
- Gratuities (optional)
You must know before booking!
- We organize small groups every day at Humantay lake.
- Please advise in advance of any dietary requirements.
- Vegetarian, vegan options
What do I need to bring?
- Warm Jacket gloves for the cold morning in the Humantay lake
- Sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses
- Comfortable shoes for hiking
- Extra snack, power bars, and 2 liters of water
- Camera or phones
- Extra money for emergencies around 200 soles per person
You can cancel this tour for up to 72 hours and get a full refund.
Similar tours to Machu Picchu:
Itinerary of the Humantay Lake tour from Cusco
The pick-up for the Humantay Lake tour will be from your hotel in Cusco city at 4:30 in the morning, and we will drive you in our comfortable vans for the 3-hour until Soraypampa Village (3,850 m/12,631 ft). Upon arrival, our expert trekking chefs will serve a delicious breakfast prepared with fresh local products while you enjoy the breathtaking view of the Salkantay and Humantay mountains.
The Pick up for the Huamantay lake tour can be from any location in Cusco city (Hotels, Airbnb's, Hostels, apartments); make sure your hotel is located near the center of Cusco and preferably with route access.
After a hearty breakfast, you will set off on a hike that will take 2 hours to reach Humantay Lake, which is located at an elevation of 4,200 m/13,779 ft at the foot of a mountain with the same name. Along the way, you will be able to enjoy the fantastic vistas of the mountain, participate in horse riding if you like, and also see some local birds.
The trail is not too difficult, but it is recommended that you wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water. Once you reach Humantay Lake, when you get to the lake, you'll have some time to look about and take in the breathtaking scenery of the surrounding mountains. Take it easy if you like; take some time to see the stunning mountain peaks, local vegetation, and native wildlife.
After enjoying Humantay Like, we will start descending for 1.5 hours to the trailhead, where our chef will be waiting for special picnic lunch prepared with fresh local products. After lunch, we will start a 3-hour return to Cusco, arriving at approximately 6.00 pm back to your hotels.
Schedule of the Humantay Lake:
- 4.30 am - Pick up from your hotel in Cusco city
- 3-hour drive from Cusco to the trailhead of lake Humantay
- 7:30 am - Arrival at the Trailhead in Soraypampa
- Breakfast is around 1 hour
- 8:30 am - Start hiking to Humantay Lake for 2 hours
- 10:30 am, arrival to Humantay lake
- 1.5 hours relax time, enjoy the area, take short hikes
- 12:00 pm - start descending for 1.5 hours back to the trailhead.
- 1.30 pm - Lunch
- 2.30 pm - Return to Cusco for around 3 hours
- 6:00 pm - Arrival back at your hotel
- You can book this tour as a private tour with a minimum of 2 travelers.
- For Larger groups, send us a request, and we will send you a special quote
- You can rent a horse to hike to Humantay Lake
- Horse riding is possible on only 80% of the entire trail.
- The 20% left, you need to hike.
- Return down the hill is not recommended to rent a horse.
- Vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free meals available on request
Humantay lake Frequently asked questions.
Looking to plan a trip to Humantay lake but have some questions? You're in the right place! This page will answer some of the most commonly asked questions about visiting Humantay lake. From how to get there and what to bring to what to expect when you arrive, we've got you covered. So whether you're a first-time visitor or a seasoned pro, read on for everything you need to know about Humantay lake.
How to get to Cusco?
The best way to get to Cusco is by flying into the city's airport. You need to book a flight to Lima city first, then, book a domestic flight to Cusco airport. From there, you can take a taxi or bus to your hotel located in the city of Cusco.
Where to stay in Cusco for pick up?
There are many options available to stay in Cusco. You can choose to stay in a hotel, hostel, or even an Airbnb.Hotels: There are many hotels in Cusco that offer pick-up services. Some of the more popular hotels are:
- Hotel Monasterio
- Palacio del Inka
- JW Marriott El Convento
- Hilton garden
Booka hotel near the main center and route access.
What is Humantay lake?
Humantay lake is a beautiful glacial lake in the Peruvian Andes. It is located at the base of Mount Humantay and near Salkantay Mountain. These mountains are Sacred mountains to the local people. The lake is turquoise in color and is surrounded by stunning scenery. It is a popular spot for hiking, camping, and photography.
How to get to Humantay lake?
To get to Humantay lake, you will need to take a bus or car from Cusco to the town of Mollepata. From Mollepata, you need to take a private taxi to Soraypampa village, the trailhead. From Soraypmapa, you will need to hike for about 2 hours until you reach the lake. The trail is not overly difficult, but it is recommended that you wear proper shoes and bring plenty of water.
The easiest way to visit Humatay lake is through an organized tour; you need to hire a company like TreXperience to enjoy these unique places.
What are the best things to do at Humantay lake?
Hiking is the only way to arrive at Humantay Lake and is an excellent way to get some exercise. Several trails of varying difficulty levels lead up to the lake. Once you reach the lake, there are plenty of places to relax or take a short hike. The water is generally quite cold, and swimming is not allowed nor fishing.
Picnicking is not allowed as, well. However, you can enjoy your favorite snack, and warm water is possible. Just make sure you do not leave any trash behind.
What are the activities that can be done there?
Many activities can be enjoyed at Humantay Lake, such as hiking, horseback riding, and simply taking in the stunning scenery. The lake is also a popular spot for picnics and camping. Picnics and camping are only possible in the village located at the trailhead, Soraypampa.
How much does it cost to visit Humantay lake?
The cost of visiting Humantay lake will vary depending on several factors, including the time of year, the group size, and the specific activities you plan to do while there.
- You can book the cheapest tours from $30-$50 per person for a day trip to the lake. This price includes transportation from Cusco to the trailhead, a guide, and entrance fees. Breakfast and lunch are provided in local restaurants, large groups, different languages, and tour guides have experience.
- You can also book personalized premium tours; the cost is around $150 to $200. Includes transportation to the trailhead, entry fees, tour guide, chef, picnic meals, and private transport. These are the best tour options for Humantay. You will have an exclusive chef to prepare your meals and tiop qualified tour guides.
When is the best time to visit Humantay Lake?
The best time to visit Humantay Lake is between May and September. The weather is warm, and there are fewer chances to have rain. The rainy season is also a perfect time to visit; the landscapes are greener and have beautiful colors.
What should I pack for Humantay lake?
Assuming you're packing for a day trip:
- A small backpack
- Bug spray
- Hat or visor
- Hiking clothes
- Snacks and drinks
- First aid kit
- Hiking boots or comfortable shoes
- Extra money
Are there any dangers at Humantay lake?
Yes, like any adventure trip out in nature, there are some dangers at Humantay lake.
- The most common danger is getting lost. There are no marked trails, and the terrain is very rugged. It is easy to get lost if you don't know where you are going or don't follow the tour guide's instructions.
- Other dangers include hypothermia and altitude sickness.
- The lake is at a high elevation, and you need to be acclimated to the altitude; arrive a few days before Cusco.
- Be sure to dress warmly and drink plenty of fluids to avoid these problems.
What are the recommended tours before and after the Humantay Lake tour?
Humantay lake is a high añltitude day hike; you need to acclimatize properly before participating in this tour.
- On the first day, you should explore Cusco city
- On the Second day, Explore the Sacred Valley tour
- Next, Hike to Machu Picchu or tour by train
- Free day in Cusco
- Last, you can hike to Humantay Lake
Helpful information about Humantay Lake
Humantay Lake is located in the Peruvian Andes, about 3 hour drive from the city of Cusco and 2 hours hike to the lake. The lake is situated at an altitude of 4,200 meters (13,780 feet), making it one of the highest lakes in Peru. The lake is surrounded by mountains, including the Humantay Peak, which rises to 5,917 meters (19,427 feet).
Humantay Lake is a glacial lake located in the Cusco Region of Peru. The lake is situated in the saddle between the mountains of Salkantay and Humantay. The lake is fed by glacial meltwater from the nearby glaciers and has a turquoise color due to light reflecting off the sediments at the bottom of the lake. The area around Humantay Lake has been inhabited for centuries by the indigenous people of Peru.
The lake has spiritual significance for many indigenous people and is used for ceremonies and rituals. In recent years, Humantay Lake has become a popular tourist destination. The area around the lake is beautiful, and several hiking trails lead to different viewpoints.
The altitude of Humantay Lake is 4,200 meters (13,780 feet) above sea level. The lake is located in the Cordillera Vilcabamba mountain range in the Peruvian Andes.
The weather of Humantay Lake is variable depending on the time of year. In the rainy season, the lake is often covered in mist and can be pretty cold when cloudy or rainy.
However, during the dry season, the lake is typically sunny and warm during the day but very cold at night or early morning. Visitors should be prepared for both types of weather when planning a trip to Humantay Lake.
The Humantay Lake tour is not for the faint of heart. The hike is moderate to challenging, with a steep incline and rocky terrain. But, the real difficulty comes from the high altitude. At over 4,200 meters above sea level, the oxygen is thin, and it cannot be easy to catch your breath. This can make the hike even more challenging, and it's essential to take breaks often to rest and catch your breath. The views from the lake are stunning, but getting there is no easy feat.
Humantay Lake Tour map
Humantay Lake vs. Rainbow Mountain
Two main hiking trails lead up to stunning viewpoints in the Cusco region of Peru - Humantay Lake and Rainbow Mountain. Both hikes are relatively challenging but offer incredible views at the top. So, which hike should you choose?
- Humantay Lake is the shorter of the two hikes, at only 4 miles round trip. The trailhead is located just outside of the town of Soraypampa, and the hike can be done in half a day. The trail is steep and rocky in parts but is manageable for most people with a good fitness level. The reward for your efforts is a beautiful turquoise lake in a valley beneath the towering peaks of the Andes.
- Rainbow Mountain, on the other hand, is a longer and more challenging hike. The trailhead is located about 4 hours from Cusco, and the hike takes around 4 hours to complete. The first part of the hike is relatively easy but gets much more challenging as you reach the high-altitude valley where Rainbow Mountain is located. This hike is not recommended for beginners or those with respiratory problems due to the high altitude.
So, which hike should you choose? If you're short on time or not looking for a challenge, Humantay Lake is a great option. But if you're up for an adventure and want to see some truly breathtaking scenery, Rainbow Mountain is worth the extra effort.
Tips for visiting Humantay lake
If you're looking for a beautiful turquoise lake to visit in Peru, Humantay is the perfect spot. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of your visit:
- The best time to visit Humantay lake is between May and September when the weather is warm and dry.
- To get to Humantay lake, you'll need to drive for about 3 hours from the town of Cusco.
- The trail is not too challenging, but wear comfortable shoes and bring plenty of water.
- Once you reach the lake, take some time to enjoy the views and maybe even go for a swim! Just be aware that the water can be pretty cold.
- A few campsites are available if you want to camp overnight near the lake. Be sure to bring all the necessary supplies, including food, water, and warm clothing.
- When you're ready to head back down, give yourself plenty of time to hike at a leisurely pace, so you don't get too tired.
- And that's it - following these tips will help you have a great time visiting Humantay lake!